Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Frequent Questions

I receive several emails daily regarding the usage of our Cur-OST products in horses. Many horse owners email with questions about particular conditions that their horses are facing, while many also email with general questions about which product might be best for their particular situation. A recent question emailed in to me is paraphrased below:

"Hello, I am emailing in order to determine which of your products might be best for my horse. I have a mid-aged mare that was recently diagnosed with arthritis in her ankle. She is quite painful and lame even when just walking. Right now, we are giving her bute daily, which is requiring a high dose to ease her discomfort. I also have a 4 year old with no current problems, but he will be a hunter prospect. Which of your products would you recommend?"

As a veterinarian, I look at our line of Cur-OST EQ products in a fairly systematic type of approach. First, I ask myself if the condition we are treating is acute (just happened recently) or chronic (has been going on for a while). Second, I try to get a handle on the degree or level of pain that the horse is experiencing. In acute and very painful conditions, I will recommend the EQ PLUS product. The reason is that this particular formula contains a higher level of curcumin as well as provides individual antioxidants to combat oxidative stress that may be present. In more chronic and less painful conditions, I will generally start with the EQ Green product which helps to combat inflammation and pain, but also provides important nutrients to help improve blood flow and aid in tissue repair.

Having said all of this, we have cases of laminitis, arthritis and navicular disease that may fall into the acute or the chronic category. Again, here we have to look at the time frame of the condition. If you have a horse with arthritis, how long has the condition been going on? How bad is the pain? If the condition has been present for several months or maybe even a year, then I will start with the EQ Green product. If the horse has just recently become lame and is quite painful, then I will start with the EQ Plus product.

Keep in mind that many horses that start with the EQ Plus product can be switched to the EQ Green product successfully after the condition is controlled. In the case of prevention and joint maintenance for those horses that are currently not having any problems, I will use the EQ Green product as this formula seems to readily support the joints and reduce inflammation.

I am hopeful that this response helps to clarify how and when I will use one product over another as a veterinarian. My intention is to help, not to confuse. If there are any questions out there, please feel free to email me directly through our website.

All our best,

Tom Schell, D.V.M.

No comments: